Log in

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me




Links and Partnerships


Windsor Regional Children's Centre

3901 Connaught Street, Windsor, Ontario, N9C 4H4 — 519.257.5215

HelpLINK — Market Square, 2109 Ottawa Street, Suite 440, Windsor, Ontario, N8Y 1R8 — 519.252.2313

The Ontario Ministry of Children and Youth Services

270 Erie Street East, Windsor, Ontario N9A 7E3 — Telephone 519.254.1651, Fax 519.255.7976, Toll Free 1.800.387.7327, TTY 519.254.4850.

Windsor Regional Hospital

Mental health beds dedicated for children and adolescents for Chatham Kent and Windsor Essex are located on the Maryvale campus.

Greater Essex County District School Board

451 Park Street West, P.O. Box 210, Windsor, Ontario, Canada N9A 6K1 — 519.255.3200.

Windsor Essex Catholic District School Board

1325 California Ave. | Windsor, Ontario, Canada | N9B 3Y6 | ph: (519) 253-2481


Family Respite Services

3295 Quality Way Unit 101A Windsor, ON N8T 3R9 | Telephone: (519)-972-9688 | Fax: (519)-972-8902 | Emergency Number: (519) 259-4305


Good Shepherd Sisters Mid North America


Autism Parenting Magazine


Services and Financial Assistance Opportunities

that Maryvale families have found Helpful:


Children First:  Children First in Essex County partners with families and the community to provide individualized support for children (birth to 6 years) with developmental and/or mental health challenges, helping them reach their full potential through early identification, education, and clinical intervention.  Located at 3295 Quality Way – Suite 102, Windsor, ON N8T 3R9.  Telephone:  (519) 250-1850

Family Respite Services Windsor – Essex:  A Windsor-Essex community organization that works with families caring for children under the age of eighteen who have intellectual, physical and mental health disabilities. We facilitate the provision of respite services that contribute to:  The sustaining and enriching of a family's quality of life and seek the fullest participation of the child in the community.  Located at 3295 Quality Way Unit 101A, Windsor, ON N8T 3R9.  Telephone: (519) 972-9688

Help Link Access Services for Children, Youth, and Families is the central access point for all children’s mental health and associated services for Windsor-Essex. Help Link provides information, referral services, and service coordination to families who have require assistance in navigating local community services for children and youth. Help Link is also involved in the coordination of Community Triple P Parenting, organization of Community Case Conferences, completing Case Resolution processes, and accessing to services outside Windsor-Essex (e.g., CPRI, Regional Mental Health – Adolescent Unit).  Located at 3901 Connaught Street Windsor, ON N9C 4H4.  Telephone:  (519) 257-5288

The Inn of Windsor was established to provide a community based residential care program to serve females 13 up to age of 18 years, as well as an independent living program for males and females 16 up to age 21 years who are in need of community supports.  Located at 1687 Wyandotte St. E, Windsor, ON N8Y 1C8.  Telephone:  (519) 252-7768

The John McGivney Children's Centre (JMCC) provides specialized pediatric therapy services to approximately 2,700 children and youth each year from birth to 21 years who reside in Essex County. Services are funded through the Ministry of Children and Youth and are provided free of charge for residents of Ontario.  Services are provided to children who experience difficulty with everyday activities like crawling and walking, feeding, hand function and communicating as well as those with developmental disabilities, orthopedic impairments, and complex chronic illnesses. Difficulties can be due to neurological, developmental, musculoskeletal or other physical or health reasons.  Individuals, parents or legal guardians, physicians and other community agencies can make a referral by completing a referral form on our website or by calling.  Located at the 3945 Matchette Rd, Windsor, ON N9C 4C2.  Telephone:  (519) 252-7281

The Learning Disabilities Association of Windsor - Essex County (LDAWE) is a chapter of the Learning Disabilities Association of Ontario (LDAO). The organization was reactivated in 1993 by a small group of concerned parents and professionals in the Windsor – Essex County area, who were committed to improving the quality of life for learning disabled individuals. In 2001, a 3-year Ontario Trillium Foundation grant was received to open a resource and support centre. In February 2004, the organization received its Charitable Status from the Canadian government. The local activities of the organization are governed by a volunteer board of directors, who follow the policies of LDAO.  Located at 647 Ouellette Avenue, Suite 101, Windsor, ON N9A 4J4  Telephone:  (519) 252-7889

Leone Residence:  A 6 bed residential treatment facility for adolescent females (ages 11-17 years) experiencing social, emotional, behavioural or psychiatric disorders.  Intake referrals through Children’s Aid Society.  Located at Kildare Rd. and Brant St. (1 block north of Wyandotte St E).  Telephone:  (519) 256-5274

Parents for Children’s Mental Health (PCMH):  PCMH offers chapters across the Province to provide support groups, and peer to peer assistance with finding resources appropriate for your family. The local chapter of PCMH offers a support group to parents of children, teens and adults with mental health challenges.  Meetings will be held on the first Thursday of most months at the Regional Children’s Centre (Glengarda Building), 3900 Connaught Street, Windsor at 1-2:30 pm (no children please).  For more information about Parents for Children’s Mental Health, please visit www.pcmh.ca.  Contact Windsor Essex Chapter Leader, Karen Wilson at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

The Regional Children's Centre (RCC) is an accredited children's mental health centre serving children and adolescents who are dealing with social, emotional, developmental, and/or behavioural issues, and their families. The Centre offers a variety of crisis stabilization, diagnostic, assessment, treatment, and consultative services designed to promote healthy functioning of children, youth, and their families within the home, school, and community. The Centre offers on-site out-patient and residential services and community based programs.  Located at 3896 Connaught Ave, Windsor, ON N9C 4H4.  Telephone: (519) 257-5215 

Walk In Clinic at RCC:  Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

The Teen Health Centre/Windsor Essex Community Health Centre:  Community Health Centres (CHCs) are non-profit, community-governed organizations that provide primary health care, health promotion and community development services, using interdisciplinary teams of health providers. These teams often include physicians, nurse practitioners, dietitians, health promoters, counsellors and others who are paid by salary, rather than through a fee-for-service system.  Located at 1585 Ouellette Ave. Windsor, ON N8X 1K5. Telephone:  (519)-253-8481

The Windsor Essex Children’s Aid Society (WECAS):  A Children’s Aid Society (CAS) works in each community to provide help and support to children and their families. It is mandated to uphold Child & Family Services Act (CFSA) and is funded through the Ontario Ministry of Children and Youth Services.  The Windsor-Essex Children’s Aid Society is responsible for investigating all allegations of child abuse, including neglect, while also providing protection services to children, youth and their families residing in Essex County.  Located at 671 Riverside Dr. E, Windsor, ON N8Y 5B5.  Telephone:  (519) 252-1171

If your child is at immediate risk to harm self or others, please proceed to the Emergency Room at: 

Windsor Regional Hospital - Metropolitan Campus (age 0-15)

Windsor Regional Hospital - Ouellette Campus (age 16+)

We R Kids and Youth Mental Health website:  http://werkidsmentalhealth.ca/  

Financial Opportunities

Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities

The Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD) program, formerly known as the Handicapped Children's Benefit (HCB), provides help to parents to assist with some of the extra costs of caring for a child who has a disability. The purpose of the benefit is to help children who have disabilities live as normal a life as possible at home and in the community. In order to qualify for this program, financial and medical criteria must be met.

What funding and/or service(s) are provided under the ACSD program?

Financial assistance ranges from $25 to $460 per month depending on the family's gross annual income and the number of other children in the family;  A child is eligible for a dental card; and
The program may help parents with extraordinary costs related to a child's condition. Examples include travel to doctors and hospitals, special shoes and clothing, parental relief, wheelchair repairs, hearing aid batteries, and financial assistance for basic dental care, drugs, eyeglasses, and hearing aids.

Who is eligible for this program?

The child must be under 18 years of age and live at home with a parent or a legal guardian. * The income of a family will be evaluated to determine qualification. The child must have a severe disability that results in a functional loss. Extraordinary costs must be present which are incurred directly as a result of the disability.

How does this relate to respite care?

Some families choose to use the funding that they receive through this benefit to pay for a worker to provide in home services or respite care.  Families may do this themselves, directly administering the funds and hiring a worker.  They may also request that Family Respite Services administer the funds for them.  Family Respite Services will do this for children who have intellectual disabilities.  In these situations, the staff from FRS work with the family to recruit a worker and will employ the worker and pay them.  The family pays for these services out of their benefits.

Website:  http://www.children.gov.on.ca/htdocs/English/specialneeds/disabilities.aspx

Child Disability Tax Credit Certificate

To qualify for the Disability Tax Credit (DTC), you must submit the Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate, and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) must approve your application before you file your income tax return for the year you’re claiming the credit. The disabled person (or a family member) completes Part A of the form and, depending on the nature of the disability, a medical doctor or other health practitioner such as an audiologist, optometrist or psychologist fills out Part B.

While the lengthy form may at first appear intimidating.  There is a 1-800 number right on the form to call for help from CRA.  Based on the circumstances of each case, the CRA may approve the DTC certificate indefinitely or for a shorter, specified period.

Depending on the onset of the disability, you may use the credit both in the current year and going back as far as 10 years, resulting in sizeable retroactive tax refunds. To have the disability tax credit back-dated, you must file a form T1Adj for each previous tax year in which the disabled individual qualifies.

Website:  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2201/README.html

Child Disability Benefit

The Child Disability Benefit (CDB) is a tax-free benefit for families who care for a child under age 18 who is eligible for the disability tax credit. A child is eligible for the disability tax credit when a medical practitioner certifies, on Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate, that the child has a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental functions, and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) approves the form.  The CDB is paid monthly to the Canada child benefit (CCB) eligible individuals and also as a supplement to the children's special allowances (CSA).

Website:  http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cdb/

Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP)

A Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) is a savings plan that is intended to help parents and others save for the long term financial security of a person who is eligible for the disability tax credit (DTC).  Contributions to an RDSP are not tax deductible and can be made until the end of the year in which the beneficiary turns 59. Contributions that are withdrawn are not included as income to the beneficiary when they are paid out of an RDSP. However, the Canada disability savings grant (grant), the Canada disability savings bond (bond), investment income earned in the plan, and the proceeds from rollovers are included in the beneficiary's income for tax purposes when they are paid out of the RDSP.

Website:  http://www.rdsp.com/what-is-it/